Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hung out to dry

Want to give a practical, little green gift to a friend, or maybe yourself? Think: clothesline. As ridiculous as it sounds, it will change your life. How? Hanging laundry out to dry will bring you more in touch with the weather, the grass, the birds and the bees.

iStock_000005827022XSmall.jpg

Beloved hubby went all out and really splurged on my over the top, b-day present, a retractable clothesline. With my clothesline in place, I feel so 21st century — old tech becomes new tech. The Energy Star dryer still tumbles for me when lack of time interferes with my energy-saving plan. And when the winds of change bring rain, I drape the wet threads on some hangers and place them over my shower bar in the bath; open the window, and voila, indoor air dry to the rescue. Then I take the unmentionables, drape these little ditties on a collapsible, portable dryer and treat them to breezes that come sailing in through the windows in my living room.

Strange as it may sound, I get a cool karmic kick whenever I use the clean, renewable, sustainable power of both the wind and sun to dry my threads. Lower your carbon footprint, save some dough, and give it a go. It’s a simple way to be clean and green.

eclths1.jpg


Don’t have a backyard, but want to dry your clothes naturally? There are many options available for both indoors and out, from hanging a rope either across a room or from tree to tree, to T-poles, umbrellas, retractables (above, $22) and collapsibles… @ clothesline.com

eclths2.jpg

Hills Clotheslines are sleek, sturdy and hot in Hollywood; more @ linedryit.com. (Just above), the Extendaline Quatro 4 ($82), the Extendaline Sietro 6 ($99); available @ breezedryer.com. Letting it all hang out can be a little more time intensive, but eco-friendly, money saving and fun.

This article was found here at the Alternative Consumer.

No comments: